10 Foods to Never Feed Your Puppy

What should I do if my puppy consumes one of the foods on this list?

First off, what should you do if your puppy eats something they shouldn’t have. If you suspect that your puppy has had a significant amount of one of these foods, or if they are displaying abnormal behaviour, contact a professional for advice. No one solution is suitable for all foods and acting before speaking to a professional could worsen your puppy’s situation. The best thing to do is to prevent your puppy from consuming these foods in the first place. Remember that puppies are opportunists and will do whatever it takes to secure a meal.


  • 1 – Never Feed Your Puppy Onions and Garlic

Garlic, Onion, and Leeks all belong to the allium family of plants. These plants have properties which are known to break down red blood cells in canines. An excessive consumption of onions and garlic can cause your puppy to become anaemic, a condition wherein their blood is thinned.

Garlic, the most toxic of the allium plants, is especially concerning. It can be more than 5x more toxic than onions and leeks. If your puppy eats a large quantity of raw garlic, this is a cause for concern, however, even small but frequent doses of garlic can cause anaemia in your puppy. Symptoms of anaemia include vomiting, disinterest in food, breathlessness, and weakness.


  • 2 – Never Feed Your Puppy Grapes

Puppies should not eat grapes. An unknown toxin in grapes and raisins has been linked to causing kidney failure and liver damage in puppies and dogs. Thus, feeding puppies grapes and raisins should be avoided altogether.

Should your puppy consume grapes or raisins, their reaction will likely vary according to quantity consumed, size, and breed. Due to their smaller size and underdeveloped digestive systems, puppies are especially at risk of illness cause by grapes. Even a handful of grapes has the potential to trigger serious illness and potential hospitalisation.


  • 3 – Never Feed Your Puppy Alcohol

Some owners find it amusing to watch their puppies stumble around the room after drinking spilt beer. Alcohol is no laughing matter for your puppy. Even just a small amount can cause serious side effects, including: diarrhoea, vomiting, difficulty breathing, lack of coordination, coma, and even death. Puppies should never consume alcohol.

Owners should think of their puppies like children when it comes to alcohol. They metabolise it faster than human adults and do not have a tolerance. Be especially wary of sugary alcohols and cocktails as puppies are far more likely to find these appealing. 


  • 4 – Never Feed Your Puppy Macadamia Nuts

Puppies should not eat macadamia nuts. Macadamia nuts are packed full of flavour and good fats but they can be a serious nuisance for your puppy. Along with chocolate and garlic, macadamia nuts are some of the worst things you can feed your puppy.

It can take as little as 6 macadamia nuts (raw or roasted) to cause a significant amount of pain and discomfort for your puppy. Symptoms can include vomiting, muscle tremors, and paralysis. Symptoms may only last 12 to 48 hours but you should be very cautious if your puppy consumes these nuts and maintain constant monitoring.


  • 5 – Never Feed Your Puppy Caffeine

Coffee, tea, soft-drink, and energy drinks are all forms of caffeine which your puppy may find themselves exposed too. Caffeine in all forms is toxic to your puppy and can cause serious pain and discomfort. Do not feed your puppy caffeine in any form.

Caffeine can cause diarrhoea, vomiting, excessive thirst and urination, abnormal heart rhythm, hyperactivity, tremors, seizures and death. It is essentially a poison for your puppy and should be avoided at all costs.


  • 6 – Never Feed Your Puppy Chocolate

Perhaps one of the most commonly referenced foods to avoid, chocolate can cause serious harm when consumed by puppies. Puppies cannot eat chocolate at all. Chocolate contains the same potent toxin as caffeine, methylanthines, which acts as a poison when ingested by your puppy.

This substance is more potent and harmful when found in dark chocolate, baker’s chocolate, and chocolate mulch. Avoid giving your puppy any form of chocolate to reduce their risk of developing symptoms such as diarrhoea, vomiting, tremors and death.


  • 7 – Never Feed Your Puppy Milk and Dairy

Milk and dairy products contain a sugar group called lactose. Just like humans, some puppies form an intolerance to this substance and experience adverse side effects after consumption. This may include vomiting, diarrhoea, and other digestive issues.

While some dogs may experience very serious digestive issues after ingesting milk and other dairy products, other dogs may experience no symptoms at all. Its best to avoid these products all together, however, if you do choose to feed your puppy the occasional dairy treat, do so slowly to assess whether they will have any problems with it.


  • 8 – Never Feed Your Puppy Avocado

Avocados have never been more popular for humans. In salad, on toast, and in guacamole, these vibrant fruits are great for humans. Unfortunately, avocados do not offer the same health benefits for your puppy. On the contrary, they can cause some pretty significant pain and discomfort. Because of the risks, puppies should not eat avocados.

Avocados contain a chemical called persin, which can cause, among other problems, vomiting, diarrhoea, and heart congestion. Persin is found in the fruit, pits, leaves, and bark of the avocado tree. Keep your pet away from these trees and avoid allowing them to eat food with avocado in it.


  • 9 – Never Feed Your Puppy Fat Trimmings and Bones

Puppies will jump at any chance to sink their teeth into a juicy piece of meat or fat from your plate. While meat forms the foundation of a healthy puppy’s diet, fatty cuts of meat can cause health complications later in life. Too much fat can cause pancreatitis. While painful on its own, pancreatitis, the inflammation of the pancreas is especially concerning because it can lead to the development of diabetes type 2. For these reasons, puppies should not be fed fat and bones.

Another reason to avoid feeding your puppy meat trimmings is that they can contain pieces of bone. When your puppy chews on bones, especially cooked bones, they may splinter and disrupt their gastro-intestinal system, causing pain and discomfort.


  • 10 – Never Feed Your Puppy Sugary Foods (Xylitol)

Another food to avoid feeding puppies is sweets and chewing gum, which contain the chemical xylitol. This chemical, which acts as a sweetener, can cause your puppy to have a spike in insulin. This is problematic because it can result in abnormal blood sugar levels and can cause damage to your puppy’s liver. Xylitol is most commonly found in sugar free sweets as a substitute for sugar. Therefore, these foods should not be fed to puppies.  


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *